25 August 2007


Julio-So, I didn't cop out. I tried to learn the salsa in a local club called Riki's, where one of the surviving members of the disbanded Buena Vista Social Club, Ignacio "Nachito" Herrera, plays a quick set every Wednesday night. Usually late, always unexected, he might show up, he might not. I've caught him a couple of times (me and my friend Amy have become his official "groupies") but last night he jammed for three hours and I totally forgot about learning salsa, grabbed my camera, and just tried to capture the energy in the room. At some point, everyone forgot they were in a restaurant, put the chairs aside, and just danced. I didn't want to use my flash, I felt it would somehow alter the mood, but now I'm really glad I didn't. These abstractions capture it completely and I'm blown away to realize that if someone asked me to describe the salsa for them, i probably couldn't. but i would show them these. su amiga gringa, Jessie

Ignacio "Nachito" Herrera jams and yes, he's just as cool in person...



2 comments:

Lexey said...

Jessie! these pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! My favorite so far.

lackofintellect said...

Hey I ran into a crazy German last night that is visiting Naples, but has been in Antigua last month and will be back for more espanol lessons.

He's stayed at the Black Cat before, I told him that he should say hi to you for us(Tristan and I spoke with him).

Small world after all!


Great photos, as always, I enjoy following your adventures!